As we say farewell to 2019, we want to take a soulful moment and sit in gratitude for all the incredible support we received throughout the year. We reflect back on our volunteers, loyal and new, that continuously rose to every occasion to help, and to all our donors who helped in putting clothes on the backs of those in need or through financial support.
We were honoured by all the fundraising events throughout the year where so many chose BCO as their charity of choice. New partners, long-time partners, all rising up for a cause we hold so dear to our heart, offering contributions and annual commitments--we are grateful to all of you.
You have clothed, fed and offered up hope, compassion and kindness to so many, you have touched lives and renewed faith. On behalf of the BCO team and our clients, Thank You for offering a hand up and making the difference in so many lives.
Here are just some of 2019's highlights:
- BCO Becomes host of Coldest Night of the Year in Okotoks for 2020 along with Okotoks Food Bank
- Lethbridge Hyundai teams up with BCO to give Lethbridge a Hand Up, along with multiple generous donations (1 | 2)!
- BCO opens a new chapter in Lethbridge, AB!!
- BCO serves 31 families in the Christmas Feast, with 29 volunteers, serving a grand total of 139 individuals, which includes 68 children
- BCO Receives generous donation from Bar None Ranches
- Fall/Winter Essential Drive: 523 essential bags delivered to the The Mustard Seed and Calgary Drop-In Centre and Lethbridge partners
- Burger & Beer Event by The Original Essential Oils Kitchen donates to BCO
- Winter Clothing Drive was a huge success thanks to all our community partners and active community participation
- BCO teams up with Tamara Bovin Fitness and Kim McClain, receiving multiple event-driven donations throughout the year (1 | 2)
- BCO receives $1500 donation from the Okotoks Lions Club for the Christmas Feast
- BCO is nominated for the Okotoks Business Excellence Awards "Not for Profit or Social Profit Award"
- BCO participates in the groundbreaking Power of Kindness event, launching a movement of kindness in Okotoks, with proceeds from the event donated to BCO for upcoming Essentials Drives and Christmas Feast
- CD Bloom Studio selects BCO as one of their charities of choice for 1st Anniversary Event donation
- BCO wins Bronze for Best Charitable Organization in the Western Wheel Readers' Choice Awards for 2019!
- BCO hosts a volunteer appreciation event for our amazing volunteers!
- BCO participates in Sheep River Health Trust Radiothon and is donated portion of event proceeds
- BCO participates in our first Okotoks Jail and Bail, and the event is a huge success!
- For this year's Spring Essentials Drive our BCO volunteers packaged 961 essential bags for the Calgary Drop-In & Rehab Centre - The DI, The Mustard Seed and Lethbridge shelter!
- BCO attended the 2019 Okotoks Trade and Lifestyle Show to spread awareness
- We hosted tons of Essentials Drive events with our partner Windy Point soaps and many amazing volunteers, where soaps, shampoos, lip balms and other items were made by hand
- Spring Clothing Drive was a huge success thanks to all our community partners and active community participation
- We made some changes to our board of directors and roles; check out our Team BCO page to see our current team!
2020 continues to offer great strides for BCO and we feel extremely blessed to bring the new year in with all of you!
Thanks everyone for your big hearts, your time and your donations that made our annual Christmas Feast a huge success!
We had 29 volunteers this year and served 31 families consisting of a grand total of 139 individuals, which includes 68 children! It was a day full of gratitude, community spirit and friendship!
"The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members." – Coretta Scott King
We could not end such a wonderful heartfelt morning without joining back together at Hubtown to extend the feeling that filled our hearts today in children receiving gifts from Santa and all the makings for a Christmas feast!
Special thanks to our amazing supporters in the community, without whom we would not have been able to serve our community today:
Sheep River Health Trust
Hub Town Brewing
Pet Valu (Okotoks, AB - Southbank)
PetSmart (200 Southridge Dr, Ste 681, Okotoks, Alberta)
Christmas Angels - Judy and Louise
Latter Day Saints in Okotoks (Teen group - our giftwrapping team!)
And to Sobeys Okotoks our partner for 3 years now, their dedication and compassion to our community is beyond remarkable! Thank you, David, Jamie and Bruce for always for simply being the humble kind souls you are!
Read the Okotoks Online Article Here: https://okotoksonline.com/local/baby-it-s-cold-outside-bundling-up-for-coldest-night-of-the-year
Our Winter Clothing Drive for 2019 was a huge success--we had more clothing donations than we could keep track of!
A huge thank you for offering a hand up to everyone who donated clothing during this year's Winter Clothing Drive, including our community partners:
Our Okotoks partners:
CIR Realty Okotoks
CD Bloom Studio
94 Take the Cake
Tribal Connection Market
RJ Sigurdson MLA Highwood
WarBaby Cosmetics (Calgary)
Florence Fashions (offering 100.00 off your new winter coat when you donate your gently used one)
Our Lethbridge Partners:
Ashcroft Master Builders (main office and show homes)
And so many exceptional participating community members!
It was a great day for Baby it's Cold Outside YQL!
We received a generous donation from Lethbridge Hyundai for those less fortunate in our community! Thank you and we look forward to a continued partnership together to grow and build support in Lethbridge, because, Baby it IS cold outside! 💖👐
And then there are days when your heart overflows with gratitude!
What an amazing crew this evening! 523 essential bags ready to be delivered to the The Mustard Seed and Calgary Drop-In Centre.
Huge thank you to everyone who donated essentials, had fundraisers and volunteered their time!
We love offering a hand up and so does our community!
We are Incredibly grateful for the wonderful donation we received from Carlin Howden and Mark Klaudt from The Original Essential Oils Kitchen from their fun and fantastic Beer and Burger event!
A huge thanks to their amazing sponsors Pre Pak Meats of Calgary, COBS Bread , Hub Town Brewing, @fahr brewery, Hard Knox Brewery, Six Corners Brew Works and @high river brewery. A big thank-you to Mike Sands for entertaining us for the afternoon!
Nothing better than beer, burgers, and crazy talent all in support of offering a hand up to those in need!
Xmas Okotoks Zumba/Dance Fitness Party
We were so excited to be involved with Tamara Boivin and Kim McClain as their charity of choice for their Zumba/Dance Fitness Party (November 29th, 2019)! Thank you so much for offering a hand up to those in need!
"Hey everyone, save the date--Friday November 29 for one of your holiday celebrations!!!!!! Come join Tamara Boivin and Kim McClain (+ more local Zumba instructors) for a fabulously filled evening of dancing, networking, exercise and fun!!!! We are also stepping it up and supporting a local charity called "Baby Its Cold Outside". We ask you all to bring little goodies to donate to the homeless. We will have more info posted in our event."
Time: 7:00-8:30pm (doors open at 6:40pm)
Venue: Motion Fitness Okotoks
Theme: Under the Xmas Tree (whatever your interpretation is, optional)
Tickets: $20 Early Bird or $25 @ the door if not sold out.
We are Incredibly grateful to the Okotoks Lions to have been chosen to be their guest speaker for the evening at their Annual event that brings all the Alberta chapters together for an evening of fellowship. It's an amazing organization that serves in so many communities internationally.
We are humbled by the generosity of the Okotoks Lions who have donated $1500.00 to BCO over the past month, as well as gift certificates and gifts for our Upcoming Christmas Feast.
We're so grateful to have received beautiful scarves, mittens, hats and "warmth" for the winter to pass on to those who really need it in these cold months thanks to the Okotoks Culture and Heritage "Tree of Warmth" at the Okotoks Art Gallery. Be sure to visit them, it's an amazing gallery!
"Help us support our community with donations to the Tree of Warmth. We are collecting NEW scarves, hats, gloves, baby items, board games, socks & slippers at the Okotoks Art Gallery for distribution to local families in need. Please help us cover the tree entirely before December 12th!" - Okotoks Culture and Heritage
What an honour to be nominated! We are incredibly humbled to sit in such amazing company! Thank you to all who support BCO in offering a hand up to vulnerable citizens in our communities.
Together we make the difference.
We are a charitable organization based in Alberta, Canada. We are devoted to helping the homeless through various fundraising events, clothing and essentials drives, and our eventual goal is transitional housing.